Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowed In But Still Knitting!

Here in the Mid-Atlantic we were slammed by a huge snowstorm yesterday. I don't watch TV, so I'm not sure exactly how many inches we got, but I'm thinking we got around 24." I'm thankful that we were all safe at home, but now we're actually snowed in as I live on a secondary road, which does not seem to be a priority for the plows. . .

It made me think back to my childhood days when I lived through the Blizzard of '78. In that storm the snow drifts were so high they completely covered our front door. In order for my dad to get out of the house he had to climb out of a second-story window (in my bedroom) which was right above the roof over the front porch. He climbed out on to the roof, slid down the roof and on to the snow below. I was afraid as I watched the top of his head disappear that the snow would swallow him up.

But, of course he was fine and he set to digging out our front door and then our cars. We were out of school for two weeks. It was lots of fun for me because I was a little kid then.

So, yesterday we watched movies and I finished up some of my writing work and I got a bit of knitting done on my Totally Autumn blanket that was in knitty.com a few issues back.






I've never been much of a blanket knitter beyond making baby blankets, but earlier this winter our furnace broke down and we had no heat for a few days. That caused me to scramble around to find every blanket I could. That little experience inspired me to get some Fisherman's wool and knit a blanket. It's now getting so big that I usually work on it in bed where I can spread it out, or when I'm watching a movie.

Since we'll probably stuck in this house again today, I'm going to make a hat from some of my newbie hand spun yarn. I've been saving this precious yarn because it's the first yarn I made when I got my wheel, but I think it's time to use it. This yarn is a hot mess of thick and thin because I was just getting the hang of spinning. I will hold two strands together to make a heavy worsted, not quite bulky weight yarn. Take a look, but please don't laugh:

I know that my spinning skills will improve with time. For now I will enjoy the fruits of my labor and knit myself a hat made with yarn I made myself!

8 comments:

Batmamma said...

Hi, Batmamma from Swap-bot here and now following your blog.

I am seriously useless at knitting, I can crochet but knitting.. no.. :)

Ariel Bouvier said...

I love the colors in your Totally Autumn blanket. It is beautiful!
Ariel17 ~ SwapBot

Ellen said...

Wow I love the blanket! This is scentednights2002 from swap bot.

Sadie said...

Very impressive. :) We have gotten a little snow here and there, not much though. About 3" each time. Yesterday, there was a blizzard!! Today, it's all gone from the roads (thank God)!

I am nelliebugsdotcom from swap-bot -- following your blog, and I also linked you on my blog if you'd like to check it out: http://nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

Nyxie said...

Hello! I was excited to see that you also knit baby hats! We ( my grandmother, various older ladies, and I ) participated in Caps to the Capitol and also knit for local hospitals. Have you ever seen one of yours on a child? We ran into a new family at a local store that had a hat on their newborn that we had just delivered the day before!

( Nyxie following from Swap-Bot)

Unknown said...

What a great blog you have here...I wish I could knit! One Woman's Haven from Swap-bot. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Emma @ emmanemhandmade said...

Hi! I'm Emmanemhandmade from swapbot, now a follower. I like your blog! My mom taught me how to knit years ago but I never really learned how to cast on myself...I'd love to try though. Any tips on basic books/online sites to get started? Thanks!

-Emma

www.emmanemhandmade.blogspot.com

Mary J. said...

Hi! Following your blog! I love that blanket pattern. I just finished crocheting a ripple blanket, which was on hiatus during the warmer months. Now it's keeping us warm, just in time for the coldest winter in 27 years in the metro Atlanta area!
-bluehairedmary from swapbot